This article was co-authored by wikiHow Staff. Our trained team of editors and researchers validate articles for accuracy and comprehensiveness. wikiHow's Content Management Team carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article is backed by trusted research and meets our high quality standards.
This article has been viewed 37,100 times.
If you want to be ahead of the pack when it comes to using Instagram, you might want to become an Instagram beta tester. Beta users get to try out new features before they come out on the regular app. This can give you an opportunity to tell your followers about them or just get the hang of using them before anyone else. Cool, right? We compiled this short and sweet list of answers to all the questions you may have about becoming an Instagram beta tester.
Question 1 of 5:What is Instagram beta? Download Article
- Instagram beta gives Android users early access to upcoming app versions. In other words, you get to experience new, unreleased features before the rest of the public does. You can also submit feedback regarding the features to programmers in order to help them improve the app.XResearch source#*For example, Instagram’s new "dark mode" was a feature that beta testers got to try out about a month before it was released on the regular app.
Question 2 of 5:Can I be an Instagram beta tester on iOS? Download Article
- Instagram beta is currently only available on Android. If you’re an iPhone user or use Instagram on another Apple device, you unfortunately cannot become a beta tester. This feature might be available to iOS users in the future.XResearch source
- You can stay aware of any changes in availability by setting up a Google news alert with keywords like "Instagram beta iOs" or by regularly checking online communities for news.
Question 3 of 5:How do I sign up for the Instagram beta program? Download Article
- 1Go to the Instagram app in the Google Play Store. Open up the Google Play Store app on your Android device. Type "Instagram" into the search bar and click on the app when it pops up to go to the main page.XResearch source
- This is exactly the same as if you were just downloading Instagram for the first time, so nothing should feel new here — unless you’re totally new to the app and jumping right into beta testing!
- 2Click on "Join Beta" at the bottom of the screen. Scroll down on the Instagram app’s home page until you see where it says "Join Beta." Press where it just says "Join" in the bottom left, then press "Join" again on the popup that appears on your screen.XResearch source
- After you do this, you should see a message on the main screen of the app letting you know that you’re being signed up for the beta program and that it might take a few minutes.
- Once you’re signed up, the full version of Instagram gets automatically replaced by the beta version, so that’s it! You can start enjoying your new features as they get released to beta users.
Question 4 of 5:Can I leave the beta program? Download Article
- You can leave the beta program at any time. Go back to the Instagram app on the Google play store, scroll down to where it says "You’re a beta tester," and select "Leave." Press "Leave" again on the popup that appears to confirm your decision.XResearch source
- This just uninstalls the beta version of Instagram and reinstalls the normal version. It may take a few minutes as it did when you joined the beta program in the first place.
Question 5 of 5:Is Instagram beta safe? Download Article
- Yes, but Instagram beta may be unstable. It might crash more or seem more buggy than the normal version of Instagram. As for safety and security, it is not any less secure than the regular app.XResearch source
- Beta versions of apps are just versions with as-of-yet unreleased features, but they are still the same app in terms of basic functions and existing security protocols.
- If you find using the beta version of Instagram is too annoying, remember you can always just uninstall it and revert back to using the regular app.