This article was co-authored by wikiHow staff writer, Janice Tieperman. Janice is a professional and creative writer who has worked at wikiHow since 2019. With both a B.A. and M.A. in English from East Stroudsburg University, she has a passion for writing a wide variety of content for anyone and everyone. In her free time, you can find her working on a new crochet pattern, listening to true crime podcasts, or tackling a new creative writing project.
The wikiHow Video Team also followed the article's instructions and verified that they work.
This article has been viewed 5,953 times.
Nylon fans are a simple, portable, and compact way to stay cool if you don’t have an electric fan or air conditioner on hand. Due to their thin material, these fans can be rotated and folded in a small circle, which makes them easy to carry around. Although these items come in a variety of shapes and sizes, you can fold and secure these fans with a basic twisting technique, along with a clip, elastic band, or cover.
Method 1Method 1 of 2:Making the Fan Compact Download Article
- 1Twist the fan counter-clockwise so it looks like an 8. Hold the open fan in 1 hand, checking that it’s flattened into a single thin layer. Use your opposite hand to pinch the outer edge of the fan, then rotate slowly rotate it to the left. Keep an eye on the fan as it forms a figure 8, with the base and top of the fan both creating circular shapes.XResearch source
- Nylon fans are made with a hard, pliable outer border and a thin, flexible nylon material. These qualities make the fan easy to use and store.
- 2Rotate the fan counter-clockwise 1 more time. Continue pinching the edge of the fan, then turn it to the left 1 more time. Watch as the fan becomes even more compact and forms a tight, circular shape.XResearch source
- At this point, the fan will look like a compact version of the figure 8.
- 3Push the rotated portion of nylon into the base of the fan. Stop twisting the edge of the fan—instead, force it into the bottom opening of the fan. Once you’ve pushed in this section of the fan, the item will resemble a tight, compact circle. If your item doesn’t seem secure, pull out on the edge of the fan to try again.XResearch source
- As you twist, you’ll see 2 circular flaps of nylon forming at the base of the fan. You’ll want to push the twisted portion of nylon in between these 2 flaps, sandwiching them all together.
- Don’t be discouraged if you can’t fold your fan at first! It might take a few tries before it stays folded and compact.
Did you know? Nylon fans can come in a variety of shapes and sizes, but they all fold in the same way.
Method 2Method 2 of 2:Storing the Fan Download Article
- 1Slip the fan into a plastic clip if there’s 1 attached. Search along the edge of your fan for a plastic clip or compartment that holds your fan in place when you’re not using it. Since this clip is often attached to the base of the fan, you can rotate it clockwise to secure your fan into place.XResearch source
- These clips often use a screw or some other type of mechanism to rotate around.
- 2Wrap your fan with an elastic band if there’s 1 provided. Once your fan is completely compact, stretch the attached elastic band and pull it lengthwise across the diameter of the fan’s circular shape. Double-check the band to ensure that it’s placed securely, and that it won’t slip off and cause the fan to unfurl by accident.XResearch source
- 3Slide your fan into a separate pouch if you have 1 on hand. Separate the pouch with your fingers, then slip your folded fan into the cover. Check that it’s completely surrounded by the cover before storing the fan, or else it might open up prematurely.XResearch source
- Fan covers tend to be made of similar or identical materials to the fans themselves.