wikiHow is a “wiki,” similar to Wikipedia, which means that many of our articles are co-written by multiple authors. To create this article, 42 people, some anonymous, worked to edit and improve it over time.
wikiHow marks an article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback. In this case, 92% of readers who voted found the article helpful, earning it our reader-approved status.
This article has been viewed 2,091,382 times.
Whether bathing suit season is around the corner or you just prefer the look and feel of being hairless, removing your bikini hair is a necessary process. Unfortunately, shaving can cause razor bumps and cuts, while waxing is painful and expensive. If you want quick and easy results for cheap, try using Nair as a hair remover for your bikini. Stick to their sensitive formulaXResearch source, and you'll be smooth as a naked mole rat in no time.
- 1Decide how much hair you want to remove. Perhaps you have a clear idea of exactly how bare you want to be, or maybe you’re not quite sure. If you’re party to the latter, it is best to figure out exactly what you want. Keep in mind that hair removal can take a lot of time, so if you’re hoping to simply be bathing-suit ready, it may be best to keep the amount you take off to a minimum.
- Do you hope to remove just the hair that is exposed outside of your underwear?
- Do you want to take off a bit more, and go for the ‘landing strip’ or a sculpted triangle?
- Is it your goal to go Brazilian and remove it all?
- 2Clean up down south. As with all hair removal, you want to make sure that there is nothing that might hinder or slow the process. Additionally, it is good to be hygienic, especially in the nether regions. Take a moment to wash up, removing any loose hairs or dead skin cells. Use an exfoliator to smooth out the skin and open the pores up a bit, making hair removal easier.XResearch source
- 3Trim your hair. Nair is great because it doesn’t require much effort; just slather on and leave it be. However, it will take a much longer time (and thus be potentially more harmful to you) if your hair is very long and thick. Expedite the Nair-ing process by trimming all your hair to about ¼ of an inch. Use a pair of nail or sewing scissors, or use an electric razor specified for use on the bikini.XResearch source
- Even if you don’t intend on removing all the hair in your bikini area, it might be nice to trim it all. This will keep longer hairs from poking out the sides of your panties or bathing suit bottoms.
- 4Wet the skin. Although you can use Nair on dry skin, soaking your bikini area with a bit of warm to hot water will open up the hair follicles and make removal easier. Sit in a hot bath for a few minutes or hop in the shower. Towel dry off so that you skin is just damp before applying the Nair though, so that it doesn’t just slide off.
- 5Apply the Nair. Squeeze some of the cream out onto your fingertips, and spread it over the area of desired hair removal. Spread it only as thick as necessary to cover the root of the strands, but not so thin that you can see your skin through it.
- Regardless of how much hair you're removing, test a small patch of more sensitive skin prior to slathering your entire pubic area with Nair.XResearch source
- Avoid getting any Nair inside the vaginal canal or near your rectum; if inserted internally, the Nair can cause an infection.
- 6Give it time to work. Have a timer or clock handy, and keep track of how long the Nair is on for. The directions on the bottle will likely suggest a time of 3-5 minutes before rinsing.XResearch source
- If at any time the Nair causes a burning or stinging sensation, rinse it off with warm water.XResearch source
- 7Rinse off the Nair in a test patch. No two people have the same hair, so the 3-5 minute range may be too little or too much time depending on your hair and skin type. Rinse off a small patch of the Nair ; if most or all of the hair comes off and leaves little to no stubble, you are finished. If your hair is still mostly attached or only a small portion rinses off, then wait a few more minutes before rinsing.
- Do not exceed a total of 10 minutes of Nair application (no more than an additional 5 minutes after the first 5 minutes).
- 8Wash off all the Nair. Use a steady stream of warm water or a dampened washcloth to wipe away all the Nair and hair. Make sure that all of it has been removed, so that you don’t end up burning your skin or getting an infection.XResearch source
- 9Wait 24 to moisturize your skin. Most Nair creams contain moisturizing agents to help moisturize your skin while you use them, and moisturizing your skin immediately after application can cause irritation.XResearch source That said, applying chemicals to your skin can dry it out, so moisturizing after 24 hours can be beneficial.
- 10Maintain your bikini. One of the benefits of using Nair is that it keeps your hair gone for longer than shaving. However, unlike waxing, the grow-back period is anywhere from 3-6 days after the first Nair use. Maintain your naked bikini by using Nair 1-2 times a week.
- QuestionDoesn't it say on the bottle not to use it on vaginal/genital areas?Community AnswerIt does, meaning the actual internal part. It's safe to use it on surrounding areas, as long as it doesn't get inside.
- QuestionWhat happens if you get it inside your vagina - is it dangerous?Community AnswerIt's not really dangerous, but it could cause some irritation. Be careful.
- QuestionWill it make my hair grow back black?Community AnswerYour hair should grow back whatever color it was before.
- QuestionWhere can I buy Nair?Community AnswerYou can buy it online, or you can go to a drugstore which should have Nair.
- QuestionDoes Nair remove hair permanently?Community AnswerNair does not remove hair permanently; however, hair takes longer to grow back if Nair is used rather than just shaving.
- QuestionWill hair removing cream stop the growth of hairs for a longer period of time?Community AnswerAfter using Nair, the hair will grow back more quickly than if you waxed it, but not as quickly as it would if you shaved it.
- QuestionWhy does my vagina itch when my hairs are growing back?Community AnswerBecause it's prickly. When the crotch, armpit or any other sensitive place is shaved, the hairs growing back are tiny and pointy, they act like itching powder. Don't forget all methods for hair removal also attack the skin to some extent, so micro lesions can itch. You need to keep the skin very clean (but don't irritate it with too much soap or it will get worse) and let it heal, maybe apply a hydrating cream.
- QuestionHow can I clean without seeing it?Community AnswerYou could try using a mirror for shaving for the first few times. It also helps to use one hand for shaving and the other hand for touching the bikini area, and feeling where there are still hairs left.
- QuestionIf I use Nair, will my bikini area become black?Community AnswerIf used as directed, all Nair will do is remove hair. It won't change the color of your skin.
- QuestionCan you use it around the anus?Community AnswerYes, just be careful not to get it inside.
- If it is your first time using Nair, avoid doing a full Brazilian to prevent possible skin irritation and damage.
- Pubic hair is natural so do not be too pressured to remove it. And no one is gonna see that area.
- Do a test run before applying it all over your bikini area by applying a small patch on your leg or arm.
- To avoid the Nair from getting inside the vulva or other super sensitive parts, apply Neosporin or a petroleum based product on the area.
- Many people report having an unpleasant reaction to Nair when put in the bikini area. This area is very sensitive and you should always test on a small area before doing the whole bikini line!
- Read the box label carefully.
- Avoid using Nair if you have any cuts or abrasions on your skin.XResearch source
About This Article
To remove hair from your bikini area with Nair, start by exfoliating the area to remove dead skin cells and open up your pores. Then, trim your hair down to 1/4 inch in length using scissors or an electric razor so it's easier to remove. Next, soak your bikini area in warm water for a few minutes to open up your hair follicles before spreading some Nair over the hair you want to remove. Finally, let the Nair sit for a few minutes, and then rinse it off with warm water. For tips on how to deal with irritation, scroll down!