😭😛😒 wikiHow is a “wiki,” similar to Wikipedia, which means that many of our articles are co-written by multiple authors. To create this article, 17 people, some anonymous, worked to edit and improve it over time.
This article has been viewed 90,368 times.
😭😛😒 You have reached forty, then fifty, now sixty and your big question is now what? This guide is to help you turn 60 gracefully, the changes you will see and how to cope with them. You may have your own ideas about Grace and the over 59s so feel free to pick and choose from these steps regarding what is pertinent to you and your lifestyle.
Steps Download Article
- 1Realise there are three types of aging. Mental, Physical, and superficially physical.
- 2Have an idea what to expect. Obviously as time goes by you will as a human feel the effects of aging so that's why you should at all times, be trying to help your body. As time goes on especially at the age of 60 you lose 10-15% of muscle mass. This is why you should try to do some very light exercise so as not to strain yourself, maybe swimming, walking etc. Also try taking supplements make sure they go in accordance with your diet and any medication you may be taking.XResearch sourceAdvertisement
- 3Mentally you need to take care of your mind; reading newspapers and keeping up to date with current affairs is a brilliant way to keep your mind sharp; sudoku is also brilliant as well. A big thing is not to isolate yourself because this can really desolate your mind. You must be very sociable; it helps also in later life. You will be incredibly pleased that you did this. If you start to need glasses to read, do sudoku or crossword etc, wear them! They don't make you look old, they stop you getting headaches.XResearch source
- 4Consider revising your skin care routine. You may find that what you have been doing for the last ten years, is not as effective now. Try using simple but effective creams, cleansers etc. Or, splash out and treat yourself to some of the fancy deluxe skin products that are available. Find something that suits your skin and stick with it.XResearch source
- 5Find a haircut that suits your face. It is often the case that shorter hair suits older ladies. Sometimes a bob or a sweeping chop takes years off. At this age you can really pull off brilliant colour too, if you want to. Only go down the blue rinse route if you are sure it's right for you. Don't do anything because you think you should. Do your hair how you want, not how you think a sixty-year-old's hair should be. What you had at fifty, or even forty or thirty, may still look gorgeous.XResearch source
- 6Try not to let your hair frizz. This is an incredibly aging effect on anyone. Try using serum or blow your hair daily.
- 7Try finding a good foundation. At this age you must have one that will give you a glow; otherwise, your skin can really lack luster.
- 8When applying makeup try not to put any mascara on your bottom lashes. This is because at 60 you will may have darker circles and bags under your eyes. Dark mascara on the bottom lashes will worsen this effect. If you really want added length on your bottom lashes, use a small amount. It is recommended that you use brown mascara, or even grey. It really will soften your features compared with black mascara.
- 9Try penciling your eyebrows. Try to make it look natural if you wish. At this age they will thin and fade. This can leave you with a haggard, gaunt look. Soft eyebrows that complement your skin tone will really help.XResearch source
- 10Cleanse, tone and moisturize, as you hopefully have been for the last 43 years or so. This will do wonders for your skin. Also, try investing in a rich, heavy body cream to keep your body in tip-top shape
- 11Dress well. With your clothes, it is recommended you wear classic pieces with modern twists. Also, tailor your style to your skin tone and hair. If you have pale / normal skin and blonde or white hair, try channeling your inner Channel; wear classic tweed suits, etc. Very chic. This also works for darker-skinned ladies if you want that Sophia Loren look!
- 12Also, if it suits you, try the exotic look - bright colours and flowing chiffons really are incredibly flattering.
- 13Stay young in mind and life! If you keep a young mind, you will portray a young person!
- 14Be Happy! *Don't get obsessed. One of the things about turning 60 gracefully is letting things go gracefully. Don't obsess; just let things happen as they do.XResearch source
- QuestionSince turning 60, I have gained weight, especially in my waist area. I am not doing anything differently than I was before. What is going on?Community AnswerIt could be just your age or genetics. Perhaps your metabolism has just slowed down a bit more.
- There are many out there like you wanting the same things, join up, swap tips etc.
- Find and keep close boyfriends/girlfriends. At 60, some of your older friends may not be as able to socialize as you are so if possible, make new friends.