This article was co-authored by wikiHow staff writer, Eric McClure. Eric McClure is an editing fellow at wikiHow where he has been editing, researching, and creating content since 2019. A former educator and poet, his work has appeared in Carcinogenic Poetry, Shot Glass Journal, Prairie Margins, and The Rusty Nail. His digital chapbook, The Internet, was also published in TL;DR Magazine. He was the winner of the Paul Carroll award for outstanding achievement in creative writing in 2014, and he was a featured reader at the Poetry Foundation’s Open Door Reading Series in 2015. Eric holds a BA in English from the University of Illinois at Chicago, and an MEd in secondary education from DePaul University.
This article has been viewed 13,982 times.
Trying to figure out the difference between 🙌 and 🙏? Don’t see how 🤲 and 👐 could possibly be different? There are a few emojis depicting two hands, and they all work a little differently from one another. In this article, we’ll break down everything you need to know about the 🙌 (raised hands) emoji, 🤲 (palms up) emoji, 🙏 (folded/praying hands) emoji, and the 👐 (open hands) emoji.
Section 1 of 4:🙌 (Raised Hands) Emoji Meanings
- 1The 🙌 emoji represents celebration and positive vibes. The 🙌 emoji depicts someone raising their hands high over their head. This gesture is common when you see someone rooting the home team on, or praising someone. In fact, this emoji originally meant "give me ten!" as in two high-fives. You might see it used like this:
- "I just heard you got the gig!! Congrats! I’m so excited for you 🙌."
- "You crushed that presentation 🙌!"
- "I know you start freshman year this week. Are you amped? I can’t wait to see what you do next 🙌!!!"
- 2You can use a 🙌 emoji to encourage or motivate someone. If you want to compliment someone, encourage them, or otherwise shower them with praise, throw a 🙌 in there to give your message a little razzle dazzle. For example:
- "You’re the best 🙌."
- "I loved seeing you perform. You’re so talented 🙌!"
- "You crushed it today. I wouldn’t make it without you 🙌!"
- 3In fringe cases, a 🙌 emoji can represent momentum or high energy. The little lines at the top of the raised hands emoji indicate motion. Since there are relatively few emojis that are stylized this way, you can use the raised hands emoji to emphasize how hype you are, or to convey energetic movement. For example:
- "It’s time to get up! Where are you? I’m trying to go 🙌."
- "I got up 🙌 and I turned up 💯."
- "LET’S GOOOO 🙌 🙌 🙌"
Section 2 of 4:🤲 (Palms Up) Emoji Meanings
- 1The 🤲 emoji typically represents prayer. This 🤲 emoji shows a set of open palms, held open towards the sky. Often, this emoji is used to emphasize prayer (but more of a somber, serious form of prayer than the 🙏 (folded/praying hands) emoji). For example:
- "Everything I have I owe to God 🤲."
- "Just trust the universe and 🤲. Everything will work out."
- "I 🤲 every night before bed that things will get better."
- 2You can use a 🤲 emoji to ask for help or showcase humility. If you want to (kind of playfully) ask for something, you can add a 🤲 to signal that you’re trying to be gracious, kind of like you aren’t super happy about having to ask for a handout. You can also use this emoji to showcase some grace and humbleness. You could say:
- "😔🤲. I need some help…I hate to ask, but can you cover my lunch today?"
- "I hate to do this, but can I maybe hitch a ride to work this week? 🤲"
- "I could use some $ if you got paid this week 🤲. I promise to pay you back 😊!"
- 3You could use a 🤲 to reference reading. The palms up emoji happens to look a lot like the American Sign Language gesture for "book."XResearch source On top of that, people often hold open books with their hands together, kind of like the 🤲 emoji. If you want to encourage someone to read or talk about a book, you can use the palms up emoji.XResearch source You might say:
- "I can’t meet up tonight. I have to finish this book for class tomorrow 🤲."
- "I love a good book 🤲. I actually read every night before bed."
- "Why are you texting me? Aren’t you supposed to be 🤲 for English?"
Section 3 of 4:🙏 (Folded/Praying Hands) Emoji Meanings
- 1The 🙏 emoji represents prayer or thankfulness. The 🙏 emoji shows two hands pressed together. This often represents prayer, since this is the gesture many religious people make when they’re praying.XResearch source It’s also the gesture people make sometimes when they say "thank you" or "I appreciate you," so it’s often used that way as well.
- "Thank you so much for helping me out today. I really appreciate it 🙏."
- "You are the best! I know you stuck your neck out for me and it means a lot 🙏. "
- "I know you’re having a rough one. It’s days like these where it helps to remember it’s all a part of a bigger plan 🙏. You got this."
- 2Use a 🙏 emoji to express gratitude in a sincere way. The most common usage of the 🙏 emoji isn’t usually religious. You may use this emoji to say "thank you" in a more vibrant way. There’s nothing wrong with using this emoji to say "praise God," but you may get more mileage out of it as a decorative way of showing thanks.XResearch source Someone could say: You might say:
- "Thank you for today 🙏. Seriously. You’re the best."
- "We’ve got this! 🙏 🙏 🙏"
- "I know you’ve got a lot on your plate, but I wanted to say that I’m proud of you 🙏."
- 3You might use a 🙏 emoji to high-five someone. If you imagine each hand in the 🙏 emoji belongs to two different people, this emoji kind of looks like a high-five. If you want to throw a digital high-five someone’s way, you can 100% use this emoji to decorate your message.XResearch source For example:
- "You nailed it 🙏."
- "You crushed that interview 🙏."
- "High-five! 🙏"
Section 4 of 4:👐 (Open Hands) Emoji Meanings
- 1The 👐 emoji represents either general openness, or a hug. This 👐 emoji shows two palms pressed together and turned open towards the world. This can convey a kind of friendly openness, or playful warmth. These hands also look a lot like the hands on the 🤗 (hugging face) emoji, so 👐 are often used to signify a hug.
- "Hey stranger 👐! I’m fiending for some cotton candy. Wanna hit a carnival this weekend?"
- "Kim 👐! It was great running into you. Want to grab some coffee soon and catch up?"
- "I miss you so much 👐 ❤️."
- 2Send a 👐 emoji to spread the love or have fun. If you want to express some playful, open-minded kindness, throw a 👐 emoji into your text. You can also use this emoji in a kind of loving and supportive way to communicate a hug. Depending on the emojis you pair with it, it can even be a kind of flirtatious! You could try:
- "Wanna see some live music with me this weekend 👐 💃?"
- "Ayyyy! I miss you!!! Let’s hang soon 👐!"
- "Ready to turn up this weekend? I can’t wait to get down 👐 👐 👐. "
- 3A 👐 emoji can also represent jazz hands or "please stop." These two open palms can also be used in two sort of opposite ways. In one sense, the two palms can be jazz hands, which you can use to express excitement, sass, or chutzpah. On the other hand, you can also imagine someone holding both hands up as if to say, "Cut that out."XResearch source You might say:
- "What do you mean I’m lame? I’m the bee’s knees 👐 👐 👐."
- "I’m burning up the dance floor tonight 👐 🔥."
- "Ew. No. 👐 🛑. Cilantro is the best."